A little about Sarah:
Sarah’s affection for animals goes beyond that of the average animal lover. Sarah feels an empathy for all animals and wildlife that is rare and profound.
Sarah the Gallery Artist:
As an emerging Sydney artist Sarah Elizabeth Martin is a name on the tip of the art world’s tongue that is soon to set it wagging. An interaction with her works begins what will become an unfolding drama that traps the viewer alongside her subjects. Sarah’s animal portraits lure the observer through the romantic and emotional power of nature but before you are able to settle in as a passive spectator you’re forced into the animal’s territory just as it has been into ours.
What once appeared as tame and intimate portrayals of fauna reveal themselves to be a confronting study of the various ways the human and animal worlds collide. Sarah’s examination of urbanisation and exploration of its consequences is a narrative of instinct, survival, eradication and control. At times brutal, Sarah’s seductive portraits cast animals as romantic heroes engaged in an epic fight for life.
“I have a deep connection with animals of all kinds and feel strongly for wild animals in harsh conditions. I can’t help but put myself in their shoes. It keeps me up at night – I can’t shake the thought of an animal crossing the road and never returning to its family, even those considered pests,” Sarah says. “I’ll feed them, house them, make them comfortable and protect them. I feel I relate to them as I myself hide and am very tentative about stepping out into the world, always aware of predators around me and at times unable to shake a sense of being hunted and preyed upon.”
Each piece of Sarah’s collection is a projection of her own emotional responses to the outside world as she turns inwards when connecting with a subject. It is this that brings a unique perspective to Sarah’s works that intrigues her audience and holds its attention, captivated to see what she will do next.
- 2012 – Bachelor of Fine Arts (Painting), National Art School, Darlinghurst, Sydney
- 2012 – Cherry Hood Portraiture Workshop
- 2009 – Advanced Diploma Fine Arts, Campbelltown TAFE
- 2005 – Certificate IV Digital Media, Crows Nest TAFE
- 2012 – National Art School Graduation Show, National Art School
- 2012 – Gridnight Cowboy, 3rd yr Painting Major Show, National Art School
- 2012 – Where The Wild Things Are, Leacock Gallery, Queen St Studios
- 2011 – Landscape Exhibition, National Art School
- 2011 – Cockatoo Island Drawing Week Exhibition, National Art School
- 2010 – Cockatoo Island Drawing Week Exhibition, National Art School
- 2009 – Campbelltown Art Centre, Fisher’s Ghost Prize
- 2009 – The Background Heroes, Solo Exhibition, Campbelltown TAFE
- 2009 – Campbelltown TAFE, Annual Exhibition
- 2008 – Camden Art Prize
- 2008 – Berkeleouw Self Portrait Prize, Bowral
- 2008 – Fisher’s Ghost Prize, Contemporary Section, Campbelltown Arts Centre
- 2008 – Campbelltown TAFE, Annual Exhibition
- 2007 – Campbelltown TAFE, Annual Exhibition
- 2011 – FONAS Drawing Prize
- 2010 – Institute Achievement Awards, Student of the Year Nomination, Campbelltown TAFE.
- 1996-1998 – Art Scholarship, Queenwood School for Girls.
- 2013 – Dayraven, feature on tumblr. – Check it out here
- 2012 – Rah Collective Book
- 2012 – The Near & The Elsewhere, selected in Gridnight Cowboy Review. – check out the review here.
- 2012 – The Near & The Elsewhere, selected in National Art School Graduation Show Review. – check out the review here.
- 2009 – Fairfax Media Camden Advertiser
- 2012- Graduated National Arty School with High Distinctions.
- 2011-Current – Lil’ Fairy Door – Various packaging and design work.
- 2010 –Fundraiser, Donated Pet Portrait Commission
- 2009 –Completed process of entering the 2010 Archibald Prize, including sittings with subject Australian musician James Morrison for large scale watercolour portrait. (Not Selected.)
- 2009- Graduated Advanced Diploma of Fine Arts with High Distinctions.
- 2008 – Completed a ‘365 Project.’- One photo taken every day for a year
- 2005 –Graduated Certificate IV in Digital Media with High Distinctions.
© Copyright Sarah Elizabeth Martin. All images on this website are protected by copyright and may not be reproduced without the artist’s prior written permission
————————————- · Connect with Sarah · ————————————-